Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Google maps is still getting better


This morning Google added a "My Maps" feature to Google Maps that allows users to add various bits of crap to the maps that they are looking at. Google has taken information from other websites and stitched them into its own. Content includes gas prices, real estate, movie times, earthquakes, crop circles, webcams, area calculators and thousands more.

A couple of the more interesting ones...
  • Dig a hole through the Earth - Select an place on Earth and this will tell you where you would pop out if you dug a hole straight through the center. I tried my apartment in NJ and it looks like I would come out in the middle of the Indian Ocean, about 600 miles off of the southwest coast of Australia.
  • Been there? - I could easily see myself spending half a day trying to put in every place I've ever been to. I've always thought it would be cool if there was a way to keep track of everywhere I go, now that there is, I'm a little frightened.

No comments: