Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Ginormous, yes that's the technical term

Merriam-Webster has announced that they will be adding "ginormous" to the dictionary (my first attempt at typing that came out as "dictioncry," which might be more accurate). There are about 100 new words being added this Fall when the new edition goes on sale. Among the other words added are "crunk," "speed dating," "sudoku," "DVR" (as in digital video recorder), and "smackdown."

Am I the only one that thinks "crunk" will be completely forgotten in less than ten years? There is no way that people will continue to use that word that long.

My predictions for the future? Next year internet acronyms will make it. The following year, l33t speak. If I ever open a dictionary and see "pwn" as an actual entry I'm going to strap myself to the nose of the space shuttle just before launch. That experience will easily be more enjoyable than living in a world where l33t speak is considered proper English.

No comments: